Because I have never purchased anything from Kylie Cosmetics before, I was a bit scared to spend $29+ on a lip kit that I wasn't 100% sure it would look good on my skin tone. So, from the limited edition birthday collection, I thought I'd get the most for my money by purchasing the mini mattes, a set of mini matte lipsticks in the colors: Exposed, Dolce K, Koko K, Candy K, Kristen, and Leo. Here I will be reviewing all 6 of those shades by answering the most common questions asked about these lipsticks!
How were the mini mattes delivered?
I love Kylie's packaging. I swear that is a part of why I wanted a product from her. Her entire birthday collection came in gold packaging...so fab. She also gave a cute lil' birthday note with it as well-- pictured below.
How do the shades look on your skin tone?
Here are all the shades together:
And below you can see all 6 shades individually:
1. Exposed- warm nude. On my medium-olive skin tone, it reminds me of a orange/apricot color. This is one of my favorites.
2. Dolce K- dark nude. This shade reminds me of milk chocolate on my skin tone. I think it would look best on darker skin.
3. Koko K- pale pink. This shade is perfect for anyone with fair skin, as it doesn't contrast with your skin tone too much. I don't think this color suites dark skin tones.
4. Candy K- warm pink. I like this color a lot on my skin tone, & fair and dark skin-toned people could also pull this one off-- it seems like the most universal shade.
5. Kristen- warm berry. This shade looks absolutely amazing on medium skin tones.
6. Leo- maroon. I was surprised to see that this color looks really great on my skin tone. I got so many compliments on this one! This color looks stunning on medium to dark skin tones.
Is there a scent?
Yes! All Kylie lip products smell the same-- sweet like candy.
Do you like the applicator?
Yes I do. The applicator makes it very easy to apply the lipstick, and feels very soft against the lips. But, I know that the mini mattes come with a different brush from regular sized mattes.
How pigmented are the lipsticks?
Varied from each color, but overall they are very pigmented. I noticed that Kristen was the most pigmented and only required one swipe of lip product. The next "most pigmented" colors were Candy K and Dolce K. Lighter colors like Exposed and Koko K required more lip product as well in order to fully cover the lips. Leo also took a bit more-- I noticed that it was the most streaky of all 6 mattes, which most likely is because it is such a dark color.
Does her lipstick do a good job lasting all day, or do you have to reapply a lot?
Her lipsticks generally hold up well on my lips, but after a few hours of wear, or if I eat, then I definitely need to reapply.
Which are your favorite/least favorite color(s)?
Exposed and Candy K are my favorite for everyday wear. Kristen and Leo are my favorite for a bold lip! Dolce K and Koko K are my "least favorite", but I don't hate them. I will definitely wear them occasionally just to get good use of out them.
Favorite things about the mini mattes?
I love that she released a product where you can try a bunch of different colors all at once. I also take forever to go through lip products, so it's great to have mini's of 6 different colors! Best of all, I love the high pigmentation of each color. I have received a lot of compliments ever since beginning to wear her matte lipsticks!
Least favorite things about the mini mattes?
The worst part about Kylie's lip products is how drying they are. I definitely don't feel like my lips are moisturized when I put her products on. Kind of a disappointment, but what else can you expect from a "matte" lipstick? Just one of those things where you just gotta bite the bullet for the sake of beauty!
I hope this review was helpful! Which color is your favorite? Let me know in the comments below! XO